A CONVERSATION WITH ANGELO FIGUS @ PITTI FILATI 71
1. SPAZIO RICERCA AT PITTI FILATI 71 IS DEVOTED TO HIGHLIGHT WHAT HAS MADE ITALY GREAT IN THE WORLD, INCLUDING THE MANUAL DEXTERITY IN A PROJECT. 3 WORDS TO DESCRIBE OUR COUNTRY AND THE DESIGN FIELD:
History, innovation & future.
2. WITH NICOLA MILLER YOU HAVE UNDERTAKEN A STUDY OF HISTORY THAT TAKES ACCOUNT OF THE GREAT NAMES OF ART. SIMPLE NOSTALGIA OR A CLEAR SIGNAL OF FUTURE TRENDS?
It represents the need for depth and study. This cultural project required a new impetus and we find it through the method of great artists, with the benefit of new technology.
3. DO YOU THINK NEW TECHNOLOGIES AFFECT POSITIVELY THE DESIGN TODAY?
Technology is the extension of our ability, it’s an outstanding contribution to our daily lives, not always fully exploited due to lack of training. I believe in an integration of technology and tradition.
4. DO YOU BUY ONLINE? WHICH ITEM DO YOU BUY MORE?
Music, books, underwear and special objects produced in out-of-the-way. Places that don’t have a widespread distribution in the world.
5. “RENAISSANCE” IS THE THEME OF THIS PITTI FILATI 71. WHAT DOES “RENAISSANCE” MEAN FOR YOU, ESPECIALLY IN A CRISIS PERIOD?
Renaissance considered man the center of the universe. “Man” understood as an individual and as a group. There is a need to share experiences through a reflection on history for a future development.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WEBSITE AND BLOG?
It’s hard… I know so many sites. Recently www.airbnb.com, to reserve a place other than hotel. For the blog is even more difficult. I use Internet to work and I choose blogs for contents.
7. DRAWING AND DESIGN. PENCIL OR PHOTOSHOP?
A pencil drawing worked with Photoshop.
8. NEWSPAPER OR ONLINE MAGAZINE?
I can’t do without the newspaper, but if I read a maximum of 2 newspapers per day, I often read 5 online magazines to which I have subscribed.
9. IF YOU WERE TO WRITE THE FIRST CHAPTER OF YOUR LIFE, HOW WOULD YOU START?
In the future…
10. ANY ADVICE FOR THOSE WISHING TO EXPLORE THE WORLD OF DESIGN?
Study, travel and listen.
11. WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR YOU TO COME BACK HOME?
A plate of escargots with sauce.
Michela Bonafoni for 360 + OneQuarter