Fairplay

Main Image
Fashion & Trends, People

Riccardo Pozzoli: The Secrets of Success

By Sofia Celeste 30 November 2017

MILAN, ITALY – Riccardo Pozzoli is the co-founder of one of the most successful fashion blogs to date - TheBlondeSalad. He has also become a well-known force in the fashion industry after expanding Chiara Ferragni's blogging business into retail. Nominated Men’s Best Social Engager at the Socialite Gala of 2013, this young executive was also part of two Harvard Class Studies for his impact and success in the blogging arena and social media.



Pozzoli sat down with FAIRPLAY to discuss how the blogger phenomenon is changing on Instagram and how to captivate followers through social. Keyword: Passion.




Journalism started with people like me who genuinely wanted to write for an actual print newspaper. Now Instagram has changed the way bloggers share and communicate. What do you recommend for people who have a message and want to get it out there but are not necessarily good at showing off their clothes, their new look or their latest makeup?




I think you already said the most important thing. Generally, blogging is sharing. To me, it's not about the process of becoming an influencer. Everyone is born an influencer as we all influence communities. Today we have to influence bigger communities and to do that, you have to have passion. You cannot share what you are not passionate about. 

Who are the right people for blogging? 

I really think that people shouldn’t try to become a professional influencer just because they want to go to parties, you know what I mean? That’s not going to work. The good and bad thing about of social media is that there are no real filters. People really perceive if you're authentic or not through these platforms. You should be passionate about looks and fashion, as well as beauty, travel, or even just photography.





How do the old rules of Journalism apply?

Today, because of the tools available and because of the personal approach of social media we don’t necessarily need big skills to share news. We don’t need to have a very elegant way of talking or highly perfected photography skills. The real important thing is the passion that you’re putting into it. If it is not written perfectly, if the English is not correct, or it's not the right light for the picture, it doesn’t matter so much, because social media is communicating to people that are not expecting perfection, but authenticity.




Is it just us or is it really hard to push stories on Instagram and Facebook? What do you suggest for people who are trying to make it on social media now, after the initial wave that led social media pioneers to fame?




It is harder now, for sure. It’s always like that: it is easier when you are one of the first. Today Instagram users are becoming more and more educated and even skeptical about following, following, following. I mean, there are a lot of options, so if I want to follow something, I really have to be interested in that. In reality, I really think that this is not a secret but the most important thing is the quality of the content. And of course, you need to post at the
 right time and in the right language, using the right hashtags. This adds 3% of the performance, while the other 97% comes from how interesting the content is. For sure, trying to also to create co-sharing content with big networks or big influencers, obviously helps to grow the community. It doesn’t really help to use other social media platforms, because Instagram’s community is Instagram-oriented so it’s way better to connect with them than to reach others outside, like on Facebook or Snapchat, that's really tricky. Today we must be very patient, coherent and post, post and post a lot.

My younger brother gets upset if I post too much in one day. And he’s a millennial…



It is because he’s your brother. You have to remember that your followers will not be able to check Instagram 20 times a day, not everybody has all the connections with you that your brother may have (like the many followers in common). You have to post thinking of your followers, making them really see all your content. It’s about getting your input out there, sharing and getting more viral.

 

 

  

 



Sofia Celeste
FAIRPLAY Editor-in-Chief

When she is not hunting down the latest in tech and fashion, Sofia Celeste is scouting artisan talent for her online magazine bacoluxury.com. Born in the US and raised on the Pacific Island of Guam, she went on to write for Dow Jones Newswires and the Wall Street Journal. Her work is now regularly published in top fashion publications NOWFASHION and WWD.

MILAN, ITALY – Riccardo Pozzoli is the co-founder of one of the most successful fashion blogs to date - TheBlondeSalad. He has also become a well-known force in the fashion industry after expanding Chiara Ferragni's blogging business into retail. Nominated Men’s Best Social Engager at the Socialite Gala of 2013, this young executive was also part of two Harvard Class Studies for his impact and success in the blogging arena and social media.



Pozzoli sat down with FAIRPLAY to discuss how the blogger phenomenon is changing on Instagram and how to captivate followers through social. Keyword: Passion.




Journalism started with people like me who genuinely wanted to write for an actual print newspaper. Now Instagram has changed the way bloggers share and communicate. What do you recommend for people who have a message and want to get it out there but are not necessarily good at showing off their clothes, their new look or their latest makeup?




I think you already said the most important thing. Generally, blogging is sharing. To me, it's not about the process of becoming an influencer. Everyone is born an influencer as we all influence communities. Today we have to influence bigger communities and to do that, you have to have passion. You cannot share what you are not passionate about. 

Who are the right people for blogging? 

I really think that people shouldn’t try to become a professional influencer just because they want to go to parties, you know what I mean? That’s not going to work. The good and bad thing about of social media is that there are no real filters. People really perceive if you're authentic or not through these platforms. You should be passionate about looks and fashion, as well as beauty, travel, or even just photography.





How do the old rules of Journalism apply?

Today, because of the tools available and because of the personal approach of social media we don’t necessarily need big skills to share news. We don’t need to have a very elegant way of talking or highly perfected photography skills. The real important thing is the passion that you’re putting into it. If it is not written perfectly, if the English is not correct, or it's not the right light for the picture, it doesn’t matter so much, because social media is communicating to people that are not expecting perfection, but authenticity.




Is it just us or is it really hard to push stories on Instagram and Facebook? What do you suggest for people who are trying to make it on social media now, after the initial wave that led social media pioneers to fame?




It is harder now, for sure. It’s always like that: it is easier when you are one of the first. Today Instagram users are becoming more and more educated and even skeptical about following, following, following. I mean, there are a lot of options, so if I want to follow something, I really have to be interested in that. In reality, I really think that this is not a secret but the most important thing is the quality of the content. And of course, you need to post at the
 right time and in the right language, using the right hashtags. This adds 3% of the performance, while the other 97% comes from how interesting the content is. For sure, trying to also to create co-sharing content with big networks or big influencers, obviously helps to grow the community. It doesn’t really help to use other social media platforms, because Instagram’s community is Instagram-oriented so it’s way better to connect with them than to reach others outside, like on Facebook or Snapchat, that's really tricky. Today we must be very patient, coherent and post, post and post a lot.

My younger brother gets upset if I post too much in one day. And he’s a millennial…



It is because he’s your brother. You have to remember that your followers will not be able to check Instagram 20 times a day, not everybody has all the connections with you that your brother may have (like the many followers in common). You have to post thinking of your followers, making them really see all your content. It’s about getting your input out there, sharing and getting more viral.

 

 

  

 



Sofia Celeste
FAIRPLAY Editor-in-Chief

When she is not hunting down the latest in tech and fashion, Sofia Celeste is scouting artisan talent for her online magazine bacoluxury.com. Born in the US and raised on the Pacific Island of Guam, she went on to write for Dow Jones Newswires and the Wall Street Journal. Her work is now regularly published in top fashion publications NOWFASHION and WWD.

Read also...

Fashwell: Fashion's Visual Search Engine

Fairplay in NYC:
Inside The Met's "Heavenly Bodies" Exhibit

Nash Grier Opens Up About His Social Media Success

Stella McCartney Talks About Going Totally Sustainable